Lived onboard Hadar

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Week Twelve

Monday 20th March 2006.

The bulkhead between the engine room and our galley was tacked into place ready for the final welding. The strip of steel drilled for wood and screws, that will hold the canvas in place was welded along the gunwale, where our under the canvas saloon will be. Roger had begun to cut out the beginnings of the handrails that will run along the roof top, port and starboard.

Tuesday 21st March.
Steve 1 was busy cutting out the hatchways on the engine room. Roger was scoring a line 2 inches below the gunwale, to make it look like wood was planted on the gunwale. We know it is only fake, but it does finish it off properly. Roger like’s to make sure all the detail is correct as do we. Roger then took off the temporary bracing that was throughout the hold. It looks massive now that it is completely cleared.Steve1 then make the sides for all the hatchway’s ready for the lids.

Wednesday 22nd March.
More scoring of the imitation wood along the gunwale was done on the port side. To do this scoring a line is drawn with chalk, 2 inches down from the top of the gunwale. Then a straight, flat piece of steel is tacked to the gunwale, and an angle grinder is then used to score in the final line. The doors were made for the engine room on the port side.Back doors for the boatman’s cabin, engine room starboard side doors, and hatch lids were chalked out on a sheet of steel ready for cutting out.

Thursday 23rd March.
Steve 2 cut out the galley window door’s for the port side, tacking on the hinges and grinding them all back. Port side engine room doors were welded into place. Roger finished cutting out the handrails, he then set about welding on the posts.

Friday 24th March.
Port side window doors are welded into place. The Starboard door’s for the engine room were welded on. The handrails were tacked into place on the roof of the boatman’s cabin, shower room and galley on the port side. The doorway of the rear boatman’s cabin was reinforced ready to take the doors. Also the sliders were welded on for the hatch when it is made.Roger cut out, bent and welded into place the beam holders in the open hold. The holders will hold the wooden beams that go across the hold and cover up the shackles. Roger also started welding on the half rings which the shackles will be attached to. I stood watching as the beam holders were cut out, and it totally amazed me how quick and easy it is to cut steel with a torch. It’s like a hot knife through butter. It also makes you realise when they always wear safety gear such as goggles etc, because it is also very dangerous. As you have read it has been a very productive week, it was hard to know where to take the photographs next, but we had a great time watching all the work going on and will continue to enjoy this journey as it unfolds.

No comments: