Lived on-board Hadar

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Solar Panel.

As we are going to be spending a few days moored at Gallows Hill I decided to experiment with our new solar panel. Whilst we are moving it lays flat on the cabin roof, but it is beneficial whilst stationary to tilt it towards the sun, especially during the winter when the sun is low in the sky. As a temporary fix to gauge what I need to do I have commandeered one of Jo’s logs to lean the panel against.

SAM_0779

Today was the first day since installing the panel that we have actually had some sunshine, yes you can blame us for that! At 1:00pm, when the sun was at it’s highest, it was giving an output of 6amps. One thing about installing our solar panel was that I wanted it easily removable without any form of bracket or fixing on the roof, for when we are at festivals, rallies, etc.. I fitted 4 rubber door stops to the corners of the panel  for it to sit on the roof. To stop it being stolen or from being blown away in a strong wind I have used chains and padlocks to secure it to the handrails. I have come up with a cunning plan to make a more permanent tilting mechanism than the log, I just need to find somewhere to buy the materials, watch this space. But in the meantime it will do for now.

Keith

No comments: